Saturday, October 18, 2008

Rant: Try Not to Hit Me, Jerk.

Sorry for the slight rant but I was almost hit three times by the same guy within one block.

Here we go.

I was riding on my usual route into school and about three blocks from school, I was passed by a brand new car. It turned down a street into the university property. There is parallel parking on the right, and slanted, nose-in-first parking on the left. I was riding up on his passenger side. I was about 1 meter behind him when he pulled off to the right into a parallel spot without signaling. My theory is that he couldn't signal because he was on his cell phone. So, I swerved off to the left and yelled out, "Hey, watch out!"
As I passed him on the front driver's side, he pulled out and I had to swerve to the left to avoid being hit by him. So I called out again.
About half a block later, he pulled in front of me to park again, without a signal! As I pulled past him he kept going around the parking lot so I followed him to give him a piece of my mind.
As he got out of his car, still on his cell phone, because boy, this guy could drive, almost hit bikers, not signal, AND talk on his cell phone all at the same time!
So I said, "Hey, would you mind using your blinker?"
He said, "Why don't you watch where you are going?!"
I responded, "If I wasn't watching where I was going, I would have hit you!"
His biting reply was, "whatever."
I left it with, "Boy that must be an important call!"


He walked away and I took down his license number and reported him to public safety.

If I had thought about it, it would have been a low speed crash, and his new car would have looked good with a nice scrape along the back passenger side as my bike ran into it.

Ok, I am pissed off, and I probably wouldn't want to have scrapped up his car, but if I am really tired of being ignored by drivers, especially on cell phones!

No comments: